Exclusive Representation in Service to Local Home Buyers
Cross Town or Cross Country, the Home Buyers AdvantEDGE! still works!
Of course we offer the service to local buyers, too!
(With the practice of exclusive buyer representation, our local visibility suffers a bit:
- We have no signs in any yards
- We have no advertising of “listings”
- Our advertising is distributed more widely.)
It’s a different support process when we serve local buyers, (when compared to relocating families:)
- The “power search” for relocating families is often compacted into a few days, but they need careful preparation long before they get to town to make that possible. And we must dedicate one-on-one time with them while they’re here. And relocating buyers don’t have the advantage of “driving by” the options.
- Local buyers have an elongated “power search” phase, and our contact with them is often one or a few homes at a time over weeks or months, sometimes longer.
- And local buyers have the advantages of “driving by”. They can screen potential buying options on their own if they so choose. (We sometimes do this for relocation buyers, too, before they get to town, because they usually can’t do it!)
So it gives rise to a different process for local buyers:
- We’ll still pre-support with information to the degree necessary.
- We’ll encourage direct access to the MLS, where addresses are routinely shown for listings, (a privilege we have fought for within the profession.)
- We’ll encourage the use of the “trackers” and other tools.
- We’ll encourage drive-bys, to screen options “up” or “down”.
- We’ll be available on a “now-and-then” basis to make showings and discuss options, (and may need understanding of commitments to out of town buyers.)
- And we’ll probably rely more on local buyers for communication, encouraging them to take the initiative with the searches and setting up showings…(all consistent with the “no hustle” pledge.)
First time home buyers are usually local...but not always.
At any rate, we'll be especially careful with first time home buyers with explaining the process and providing information...and we'll listing to all expressions of concern. First time home buyers are also a "vulnerable class" of home buyers...simply because they haven't done it before.